Friday, June 1, 2012

New projects in progress - oilcloth adventures

As promised on my Facebook page, here's a little update on what's on the drawing board at Laurie's Gifts...  I've had Reversible Oilcloth Totes for sale in my Etsy Shop and original website for quite some time now.  I sold quite a few of the totes when I first listed them, but then sales pretty much dried up.  So I've been looking at the gorgeous fabric that I reordered ever since, trying to decide if I should restock that section of my shop (I only have 4 left for sale) -- or if I should just make something new out of the oilcloth.  I've been kicking this idea around for quite some time.  I've drawn out make-up pouches, e-reader/netbook/laptop cases, lunch bags, etc. but I haven't actually had anything I wanted to cut into the oilcloth fabric to try out.  Last week, I thought of something I wanted to make for my daughter and I suddenly I knew I wanted to try it out in oilcloth.

My daughters are both in their cars quite a bit.  My oldest daughter's car looks like someone lives in it with all of the... um... everything-but-the-kitchen-sink she drives around with, but my youngest actually tries to be a little bit more tidy.  To try to help them be more organized (and in an effort to keep things at their fingertips so that they don't have to take their eyes off the road while they're driving) I sewed up a couple of car organizer caddies for them to keep in their cars. 


It didn't take Jenna long to start filling hers up!  I took it out to her car to test the fit, and she had it half filled before I even got the first photo taken.  I designed it to fit either the front or back of the seat, with quick-release buckles to make it easier to move when necessary.  I think she really likes it, and will get a lot of use out of it.


This is the one I made for Jessica.  Since she's not home from work yet, I strapped it on to the back of the van front seat to show that it does fit the back of a car seat too.  (Our van has these big handles on the back of the seats, so the caddy looks like it hangs a little weird in this photo, but it actually looks pretty good in person.) 

These are just prototypes, but I think in the process of making the two of them, I've got the pattern worked out and ready for production.  What do you think?  Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.

1 comment: