Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Apron redesign - the best laid plans...

If you follow me on Facebook, then you might have heard me mention that my next project was to re-design my Plus Size Smock Apron and restock that sold out section.  I started the project by laying out all the new fabrics I will be using-- then BAM, a new idea hijacked my mojo before I even started cutting the Smock Aprons out...  For some reason, when I'm getting ready to start a big, planned project... that's when a new inspiration strikes me.  It's a stop-whatever-you're-doing-and-make-this-new-apron-right-now kind of thing.  I've learned over the years that if I put off that feeling until I have time to explore the thought, I will probably completely forget what I wanted to do.  (That's happened more times than I want to admit.)

For quite some time, I have been holding on to a piece of fabric that I fell in love with online.  I really wanted to make sure I had just the right apron in mind for it before I ever grabbed the scissors to cut into it.  I ran across that fabric again in my stack of (not-quite-yet organized) fabrics-- when suddenly I knew just what I wanted to do with it!  I tweaked a basic apron pattern; adding several inches to the width of the apron, and adding a curved hem with a darling ruffle. 

The apron on the left is the one that started this whole detour, the fabric on the right was just an innocent bystander.
I don't think this apron will make it into production, but it has been a very fun exercise in creativity.  There are just too many steps in the process to make it--that take too much time to complete--to make it a viable option to expand it as one of the "basics" that I carry in my shop.  I try to streamline as much as possible, since my aprons and purses are so expensive to make to begin with.  Since I am so anal particular about having no exposed seams or raw edges showing on my aprons, I usually take my time-- sewing them exclusively on the sewing machine.  For this apron though, I used 3 of my machines in the process.

Ruffle sewn on Gram's Singer 404
First step of attaching the ruffle sewn on the serger










I forgot to take a picture of me sewing the rest of the apron on my usual sewing machine.  Doh!  Let's pretend I added another photo up there because I said I used 3 machines so I really should have added 3 photos.  (Hindsight... It bites me every time.)   I used my Gram's vintage Singer 404 to sew up the ruffles.  After all these years (and who knows how many sewn garments???) this machine still continues to sew like a dream.  I like to use it occasionally because it reminds me of watching my Gram sewing dresses/nightgowns/robes for us girls when we were little.  :o)  I'm sentimental like that...  And although my serger is a workhorse-- with thousands of "miles" on the odometer-- I usually don't use it on my purse or aprons.  Not that there's anything wrong with an EXPOSED serger-finished seam, lots of other apron & clothing sellers use that technique.  It's perfectly acceptable!  I'm just a a little bit OCD when it comes to sewing.  I like the finished product to look as neat and tidy on the back side as it does on the front side.  So I go the extra mile (or two...)

I worked on the project as often as I could find a free minute or two this past weekend, then finished up yesterday.  I've got to say that I really like how cute and flirty this apron looks on my plus size mannequin.  It's still cute on my petite dress form, but I think the new girl wins this round of the competition.   What do you think?  The plus size mannequin (she really needs a name-- any suggestions?) is on the left in the photos and the petite dress form is on the right.  The little one also belonged to my Gram, and she was fully adjustable at one time.  But she's more than a little bit rusty on the inside now, so she doesn't move quite like she used to...  (Same thing could be said about me, but we won't go into that...)

Ready to be photographed for listing in my shop
Back and side view


























Now I need to drag out my light tent and spend the next several hours trying to come up with 10 usable  photos.  Wish me luck!!!

And if you have any suggestions for naming my dress form/ mannequins-- feel free to post them in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment